Item Returns & Refunds
Holiday Policy - Returns & Refunds - For Orders Placed Between November 1 through November 30
EXTENDED RETURN PERIOD - You have until December 31 to submit a return request or notify us that you wish to return an item. Once your return request has been approved, you have two weeks (14 calendar days) from the date of RMA (return merchandise authorization) notification to have the item returned to us and in our possession. An RMA # is required for all returns. We will refuse all packages which do not have an RMA # clearly marked on the outside of the package. Please make sure it is CLEARLY WRITTEN AND VISIBLE.
Standard Policy - Returns & Refunds
You have 30 calendar days from the date your order is shipped to submit a return request or notify us that you wish to return an item. Once your return request has been approved, you have two weeks (14 calendar days) from the date of RMA (return merchandise authorization) notification to have the item returned to us and in our possession. An RMA # is required for all returns. We will refuse all packages which do not have an RMA # clearly marked on the outside of the package. Please make sure it is CLEARLY WRITTEN AND VISIBLE.
Terms and Conditions
If you decide you want to return an item, it is subject to the following conditions:
- All shipping charges, including those that you paid to originally receive the package, are not refundable. Should the original order have received a free shipping promotion, we will deduct the amount paid by our company to ship the order to you from any potential refund.
- All returned orders are subject to a 25% restocking fee. The restocking fee will be waived if the item is being returned for an exchange or store credit. Restocking fee is not applicable for returns on damaged or defective merchandise.
- Items must be packed carefully and shipped via a method that is insured, trackable and has signature required for delivery. We personally recommend FedEx. We are not responsible for any damage or loss that is incurred while the package is in transit. That is why we require the package to be insured.
- Items being returned, and all product packaging/accessories/components/documentation must be returned in the exact condition (e.g. unused) they were received in.
- If the item being returned was part of a promotional purchase, you must return all the items that were part of that promotional purchase, including any free/gift items, to be eligible for a refund.
- Clearance, shopworn, imperfect and custom made (bespoke) products are not eligible for return or exchange.
- Downloadable products (E-Books, E-DVD & Software Downloads) are not eligible for return or exchange.
- Computer Software and DVDs that come on Physical Media (such as CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMS) can only be returned or exchanged if the product is in its original, shrink-wrapped packaging and has not been installed or used in any way. Once you open the packaging of a Computer Software or DVD title, it can only be exchanged for a new copy of the same title and only if the original media is defective. There are NO exceptions to this rule.
If you wish to return an item, please CLICK HERE to request an RMA #.
If you change your mind about a purchase while the package is in transit, please do not refuse the package. When a package is refused, FedEx will charge The House of Staunton both the full transportation costs to return the package to us and an additional refusal fee.
If you do change your mind about a purchase and refuse delivery of the package, you will be responsible for ALL transportation, delivery and related costs for the package to be returned to us. These fees will be deducted from the amount of your refund. It will be much cheaper for you if you just sign for the package and submit a request to return it to us directly.
Item Arrived Damaged
US Chess Sales uses the finest packaging materials to protect its packages and adheres to the strictest packing guidelines to minimize the likelihood of your package being damaged in transit. We understand how frustrating it can be to receive an item that is damaged.
In the unlikely event that the item that you received is damaged, please rest assured that US Chess Sales is committed to providing the finest customer service and our professional staff will work quickly to resolve the situation at absolutely no cost to you.
You have one week (7 calendar days) from the date that the package is delivered to notify us that the product you received is damaged. If you find that an item has arrived damaged, please keep all of the packaging materials that your shipment came with (cardboard box, packing materials) and notify us immediately.
Depending on the item that arrived damage, FedEx may wish to perform an inspection on the damaged item and its original packaging to verify the extent of the damage and that the package was properly packed. FedEx has 5 (five) business days to decide whether they want to perform an inspection. If they do decide to perform an inspection, a FedEx representative will come to the delivery address and pick up the damaged item and all packaging materials. It is not very common that FedEx does perform such inspections, but it does happen.
If you have notified us within the time frame, we will replace the item at no cost to you. Please note that in the case of Chessmen, where each piece is hand carved and unique, we may require that you send us back the damaged piece first. This is to ensure that the grain/coloring/carving of the replacement piece is identical to the one you are replacing. This is done for your benefit and is the only way an ideal match can be guaranteed.
If you notify us after the time period has expired, we will not honor any damaged item claims. In this situation, you should check to see if the item comes with a Manufacturer’s Warranty and contact them directly regarding replacement.
If you wish to cancel an order that has been placed, please Contact Us IMMEDIATELY. Once an order has been sent to our warehouse for processing, it can no longer be cancelled or modified.
We strongly recommend that you contact via telephone during business hours to ensure that your order cancellation request is received and processed promptly. Should you need to submit a request after hours we can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your order has already shipped, please see the Item Returns & Refunds section to learn more about returning the item.
US Chess Sales Layaway Program
Layaway purchases are eligible to be returned for an exchange or store credit. No items being purchased via our Layaway program, as well as the layaway payments themselves, are eligible for monetary refund. Returns on layaway items must be requested by contacting our customer service team within 30 days of your order being shipped.